Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween!

Phew!!!  I can't believe I actually finished the girl's dresses on time!  I've been so busy with completing other orders that my children's costumes went by the wayside until the last minute.

 Here is the BEYOND time consuming Rapunzel hair, but I must say, it looks FABULOUS.  I am really proud of this project.  I used Simplicity 2065 for the hair.  But, without this review on Kadiddlehopper's blog, I would have been pulling my hair out! (Pun intended).  The pattern's bottom braid length measurement was okay (I made it a little shorter for my 3 year old), but the round braid on top was waaaaaaay off!  The pattern asked you to cut the yarn to 18", but I ended up needing 28" strips!  And it juuuuust fit!  And my daughter has a small head!  Oh, boy.  But, like I said, I was saved a lot of headaches from the review.  Then after I was done, I just hot-glued the flowers on.  And my daughter loved it:)

The dress pattern was a very simplified version of McCall's 5731.  I liked it better than the Simplicity version.
It came together well, but the gathering of the skirt took a while, but it came out beautifully.  If I ever make this again, I want to use the looooong sleeves.  I just used one layer of the shorter sleeve cuff for my daughter's dress.

As for my oldest, she just fell in love with this hot pink satin and wanted a dress out of that, so I used Simplicity 2569 to make her fairy princess dress.

I didn't make the overlay as poofy as the pattern, but looking back, I wish I would have.  But she loved the dress and that is what is important.

Overall, it was a successful Halloween, and at 8:28PM, this momma is ready for bed.  *yawn*

1 comment: