Sunday, January 29, 2012

McCall's 6206

I've always needed more basics in my wardrobe.  You know, those classic pieces that I can pair with lots of outfits and that will withstand the changes in fashion.  I knew that I needed a blazer-type jacket and I finally got around to making one.  I fell in love with the peplum style of McCall's 6206 and finally found a great wool tweed to use.














The first thing I have to say about this jacket is, holy pleats!!!!  You can see a good shot of them on the shoulder of the lining.  Each shoulder had 6 pleats, but they gave the shoulder such a beautiful shape!  Not only is this my first blazer, but it is also my first time using shoulder pads.  The pattern called for 1/2" pads and bought the raglan style.  I made this jacket in an 8 and it has the most beautiful fit!  It is a bit snug in the waist, so I decided to put buttons on each side instead of functioning button holes.  There are a couple reasons I did this.  The first is because as I just mentioned, if I buttoned this jacket, it would be very snug.  The second reason is that I couldn't imagine trying to put button holes in this beautiful jacket and messing it up!  I'm not experienced with bound button holes and didn't want to chance it with my button hole maker on my machine.  Plus, I have a very basic machine and I knew the button holes would not come out nice.  (Just waiting on our tax return to get my new machine!!!  EEEEEEEEEE!!)


11 comments:

  1. This is really sharp! I know what you mean about wardrobe building, I tend to sew pop pieces and really need more things like this wonderful jacket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, prttynpnk!!! And let me just say, I love your post about your sewing room! Hilarious! Sigh...I long for the day when my sewing room isn't my dining room table!!

      Delete
  2. I can't believe this is your first jacket. I looks fantastic on you, and you did a beautiful job on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andrea!! It was definitely a rewarding project.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful I like your non/closure design. It provides a nice design detail that appears intentional. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Corrinne:) I would rather have this detail then risk butchering it with button
      holes!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving the shoulder pleats - and you've done a fab job on the lining! It looks professional :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, first jacket? Impossible, you must have sewn a dozen in a former life. This is so pretty and the pleats are terrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary!! I am so excited about this jacket and I definitely learned a lot from this project.

      Delete
  7. Great to find your blog - Your jacket is gorgeous, I love the gold lining and the buttons too. It gives it a military look with buttons on both sides. It is a bit scary slicing into a finished jacket isn't it - your solution is great!

    ReplyDelete