Friday, August 16, 2013

Simplicity 1803

I made this dress for my last CHRISTMAS PARTY and I'm just now blogging about it.  I bought this pattern right when it came out and decided to make it out of green silk.  I bought some beautiful dupioni and then decided to wash it and see what happened...It came out very soft and of course, a completely different sheen, but I like that it is a bit muted.  This is my only action shot from the party.  I wore a little black patent leather belt and a black slip underneath.  The dress came out very short, but the slip looked really great peeking out from the hem.



 One of the most challenging parts of the dress construction was getting the top bodice piece to lay juuust right.  I had to keep pinning and repinning.  It still gaped a little, but I was happy with the result nonetheless.

You can see the change in sheen and texture from washing the silk in these pictures.






I used a regular zipper instead of an invisible one to add strength.  I definitely felt more secure because the bodice was quite tight.



I decided to make the inside as pretty and fun as the outside so I found some gold bias tape for the armholes and hem.  I love how it turned out!

The bodice just had facings, so I lined it was well.



This pattern was really quite flattering and I loved how it turned out.  I'm looking forward to breaking out the dress again sometime this winter!

1 comment:

  1. Really nice! SSB https://facebook.com/sassysewingbees

    ReplyDelete